Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Apple Crisp

     It is my favorite time of year to do some serious baking!  Especially with apples!  Two weekends ago, my hubby and I went to Carter's Mountain with some friends of ours.  Carter's Mountain is located in Charlottesville, VA and it is the best apple orchard.  Austin and I have gone a few times and we have always enjoyed ourselves.  This year we unfortunately chose the rainiest day to go.  It was so muddy, we decided to leave the apple picking to the experts and bought apples that were pre-picked.  From the people we saw coming back with their apples, I was convinced there was no way I was going to pick my own.  Everyone was covered in mud! 

     We enjoyed some apple cider and hot, fresh apple cider doughnuts.  We also ended up with two huge bags of Jonagold  apples.  This is definitely our favorite type of apple.  They taste great and they are perfect to bake with.

     I ended up making apple crisp as well as some apple sauce.  I loved how they turned out!  I thought I would share this delicious recipe for apple crisp today.  My mother-in-law shared her wonderful recipe with me.  It happens to be one of my hubby's  favorite recipe. 



Here is the delicious recipe:

Cook Time: 50-60 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350 degrees

Ingredients for apple crisp:
·         About 5 Cups of apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
·         2/3 Cup of Sugar
·         3 Tbs Flour
·         Cinnamon (I don't use an exact amount; probably 2-3 tsp)

Ingredients for apple crisp topping:
·         1 Cup of Melted Butter
·         1-1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
·         1-3/4 Cup Flour
·         2 Cups of Quick Oats
·         A little more cinnamon

Directions: 
1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  

2.  Place peeled, cored, and sliced apples in 9 X 13 pan.  



3.  Mix 2/3 cup of sugar, 3 Tbs flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl.  




4.  Fold mixture in to apples in pan.  



5.  Melt butter in a large bowl.  

6.  Once it is completely melted, mix 1-1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1-3/4 cup flour and 2 cups of quick oats in with the melted butter.  



7.  Sprinkle this mix over the apples.  This will make the dish very full.  



8.  Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the apples are tender and the mixture is bubbly.  The top will be browned.  



9.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment