Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2014

A Change of Heart

Today I was blessed with the opportunity to give.  During a hectic season where I often find myself thinking way too much about myself and the things I want, I was reminded that life is not all about me. 

I went to a place called The Daily Bread.  The Daily Bread is open every day of the week for lunch.  Those who need a meal are welcomed in and served some delicious food.  Today, I was able to serve them.  I happen to work for an amazing company that loves giving back to the community.  Two of us went to The Daily Bread instead of work for a portion of the day.  I was quickly reminded of how much I have to be thankful for!  I loved having an opportunity to reach out to people. 

I met people today who I will never forget.  I tried to learn as many names as I could so when I go back I can use their names.  This is so important to me.  I know how special I feel when someone remembers my name, especially if we have only met once.  I want the people I met today to feel special.  I want them to feel that they have value and that they are important.

One woman I met today was named April.  I wish I knew more of her story.  I hope to see her again next week.  I went to refill her drink and she said, “Excuse me.  Where does your joy come from?”  I was completely caught off guard.  No one had spoken more than a thank you or telling me what he or she wanted to eat until this point.  I took the opportunity to tell her I am a Christian and that I have Jesus in my heart.  We talked briefly for a few minutes.  I wish I had had more time, but maybe I will one day.  She nodded to everything I said with a smile.  Then before she left she walked over to me to say goodbye.  She looked me right in the eye and said words that went right to my heart, “Whatever you do for the least of these, you have done for me”.  And she walked away.  Tears filled my eyes.  I silently thanked the Lord for this reminder.   This was a beautiful moment that changed my perspective.  Suddenly, I felt more blessed by the people I was serving than I imagine they felt by me serving them.  That was unexpected and so humbling. 

Today was a great day!  Today opened my eyes to things I have never seen.  Today reminded me of how important it is to move outside of my bubble.  There are so many people who have needs.  Today reminded me, I can meet some of those needs.  I can be the light in someone’s day.  I can be someone who makes a difference in people’s lives.  I can show love to people who feel unlovable.  I can go out there and make a difference.  That’s what we are here to do.  It’s easy to get caught up in my life and what I need and want.  It’s much harder to remember other people and to take opportunities to make a difference in other peoples’ lives.  It can be as simple as a kind gesture.  There are so many ways I can change peoples’ lives.  I’m going to start taking advantage of those opportunities at all costs.  I’m choosing today to start doing things that matter. 

Bob Goff said something in his book Love Does that has really resonated with me.  He stated, “I used to be afraid of failing at something that really mattered to me, but now I’m more afraid of succeeding at things that don’t matter”.  Those are seriously powerful and thought-provoking words.  I have battled with this for a while now.  I have questioned my purpose at my current job.  I know I love what I do and I’m successful doing what I do, but I didn’t feel like it mattered.  I didn’t feel I was making any kind of a difference.  But you know what, I’m here for a reason.  Instead of constantly questioning what I’m doing here, I’m going to be looking for opportunities to serve the Lord where I’m at.  While I may not do this forever, I’m here for a reason now.  There are plenty of opportunities where I am as well as opportunities outside of work that I can be looking for.  For now, I trust that God has me where I need to be.  When He sees fit to move me to something else, He will.  Until then, I’m going to find opportunities to serve Him right here, right now.   For too long I have been focused on succeeding at my career.  That’s not what it’s about.  I want to succeed at what matters.  That can happen while I’m in my career though. 

I think what this comes down to is where my focus is.  Is my focus on serving Christ at all costs or is my focus being successful at my job?  I know where I want my focus to be and I think that is going to come down to a daily choice.  Each day when I get up, I am choosing where my focus will go. 


Today has changed my perspective for the better.  I hope to always remember what I learned today.  I plan to continue serving at The Daily Bread.  I’m excited to see the opportunities God opens up for me while there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment